[V8Vairs] Tach

Frank Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Sep 27 05:03:25 EDT 2010

I have ffigured out rpm problem. Tachs are calibrated for6 cyl
Take the 5880 rpm I guessed from tire circum and don,s upposed
7500 rpm run, use 5880 rpm & tire dia, get roolouut in ft for every wheel rev by div by 3,55 diff, getwheel ft rolled in hr, div 5280yields mph for5880…& u get 120 mph but at 5880 rpm not
7500. When u adj the stock tach, u turned the wrong pot. Best if
Done with a cap. Second tach was on 6 cyl too
Proof; take the actual tire dia and ratios and pure math and I get
Correct 120 top speed,/ div 5880/7500 &*u get 3/4 or 6/8 cyl
Thus the tach is off by exact ratio of tach being set to 6 cyl but
Getting 8 cyl pulses; both tachs wrong. Stock tach needs a capacitor to be correct. New one needs a wire loop out back side
Of tach cut

Frank