[V8Vairs] 4.56:1 diff explained

paulsiano@aol.com paulsiano at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 23:09:59 EDT 2010

Honestly I think he likes it too.  In the 70s he built a Fiberfab Valkyrie which I think is a
V-8 with a Corvair trans-axle.  Maybe others who are familiar with it can say for sure.  He wrote an article, his first, for Car & Driver a year after I began my Crown conversion.  He is going to send a copy of that article.

The second test I view with some trepidation.  He drove the car nearly to its limits the first time and now he wants to take it another 1,000 + rpms on Sunday.  The block is aluminum and was cast in 1959.  I've been told the block is worth more than the rest of the car.  It should probably be in the Corvette Museum some other place like it.  I talked to them about it and they would be happy for me to donate it but they can't afford to buy it and I can't afford to give it to them.  They did talk about the possibility of getting a production engine and making a trade but I was unsure about doing so.  That conversation took place years ago.  Currently I'm seriously thinking about installing an aluminum Chevy 350.  Theoretically the block would be sold to a good home and I would come out ahead financially. If Don puts a rod through it on Sunday, its a new ball game.  I do think the 283 is a nice match for the trans-axle...not too much torque and
 strong enough for me at this stage of life.

Paul                               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPgI3FV-jqo