[V8Vairs] <VV> Cabin Heater - Water?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Dec 28 23:44:59 EST 2011

_wblanning at comcast.net_ (mailto:wblanning at comcast.net)   writes:

I've  often wondered about building an indirect heat system to replace the
existing  system that uses engine cooling air to heat a water/antifreeze
solution.   The idea would be to blow the engine cooling air across a heat
exchanger  (such as a large heater core) containing the water, then run the hot
water to  a heater box under the dash or in the trunk.  The first heat
exchanger  could possibly be mounted in the rear and could perhaps use a single
speed fan  to move the air across it.  An electric pump would be needed to
circulate the water to the cabin heater core, where another fan would be
needed to blow heated air into the cabin.  There would have to be an  expansion
tank somewhere in the system too.  However all this stuff would  probably
take up more room than available without making body mods.  A  higher
capacity charging system might also be needed to run the water pump and  extra fan.
Say Wade - If you work out the front part of that design - let all the V8
guys know. Water heating and defrosting the Corvair interior - in the winter
-  could be made better. (Heating the interior in summer is a great
strength of a  V8 Corvair, trust me!) Since the dash board of the 67-69 Camaro is
similar in  size - a little in design, I wonder if the aftermarket A/C -
heater - defroster  systems could be fitted into the Corvair dash? Anybody try
that  adaptation?

-Seth Emerson