[V8Vairs] upper strut on LM rear suspension

Michael Svinth msvinth at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 23:38:34 EDT 2011

Bob,
Sorry for the two week delay on the pics.
I used two plastic angle measuring tools, drilling holes in them to represent my suspension measurements to scale.  The black line in between is the axle.  I then drilled holes in the board to try different inboard mounting points for the upper and lower control arms.  By moving the verticle up or down, I was able to simulate bump and droop.
After trying several different combinations, the one that seemed to make the most sense was 1.5" higher on the lower inboard mounting point.  That gave me 2 degrees neg camber on a 3" bump and 1 degree pos camber on a 3" droop.  My control arms are 14" long so that translates to about a 2" higher mounting point for those using the OEM 18" lower control arm.  So the outboard mounting points are 11" apart(5.5" above and below the axle centerline) and the inboard mounting points are 9.5" apart with the 1.5" difference being taken up in the lower arm.
This is really crude and I do not have any engineering background so I am sure there are many factors that I have missed.  It did help me visualize the effect of different combinations.  I also tried a shorter upper arm which gives nice neg camber on the bump but also gave neg camber on the droop.  I didn't want that.
Mike
P.S.
I tried attaching more pics but it was over the limit.  If you have more questions or want more pics, email me.