[V8Vairs] cooling

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Wed Aug 22 15:24:21 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Denny Burrows" <varyv8 at yahoo.com>

2 big things:  (1) a radiator with no deposits that will keep  the water
from contacting the metal.  a big deal.  radiators are cheaper than a new
engine..... dont ask.
(2)   a perfect fan shroud ...  no mouse holes, etc.

*********
also, if you never get hotter than 215F, even when __enjoying ___ it... that
is not so bad, with 50-50 antifreeze and 16 lbs pressure.  you won't blow up
until you get to about 240-260 F.  if you cruise at 215 F, it will get worse
fast when you starting dumping 100,000 Watts thru the system.

*********
here are a few simple, cheap things, after you get down to worse case 215F
or so.

Red Line sells water wetter... it lowers the surface tension of the coolant,
and gets better contact with the metal.  I dropped about 5 or 10 degrees.

check the voltage at your electric fan...  i had smaller wires that dropped
2 or 3 volts, ran cooler when I went to bigger gauge.

you could carefully...  run straight water ... carefully ....    water cools
better, but will  boil sooner than 50-50.. be careful ... if  you never run
over 215 worst case,  straight water might help...  also,  don[t forget to
change to  50-50 when winter comes .

********
May not be cheap, but is effective.   try to get air flowing over the engine
& exhaust headers    ..    , carrying heat out of the car.  this is not
always easy, but might drop  water temps by 20 F...    the engine block is a
big radiator all by itself ..
oh, it might be be worthwhile to look  into the specialized  cooling fluids
...   I think the evil lone harranguer played with this when he had a v8.
google probably knows about this stuff....., i do not.

hope something helps, ..ken