[V8Vairs] cooling

GnKHOFFMAN at aol.com GnKHOFFMAN at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 22:31:41 EDT 2012

Denny:

Could be a number of things.  Do you have a high  pressure surge tank?  I
used a C4 Vette surge tank up near the "fire wall"  in the front trunk of the
car.  It is important to get all the air out of  the system (once water
turns to steam, it supposedly doesn't transfer heat  well).  I have multiple
bleed valves in the car (on the long tubes in the  trunk, in the top of the
thermostat housing), and I use a cooling system  pressure tester to pressurize
the system, then bleed the air off the  bleeds.

Also, I had ongoing problems with my first aluminum radiator (installed
while still using the old 327 engine).  The old engine had a LOT of
rust/sediment in the cooling jacket that plugged up the radiator.

I did a test with a different radiator propped up against the front of the
car, with extra long hoses up over and under the hood (and propped my 16"
fan  behind the external radiator).  Worked like a dream.  I now have a 31"
wide 2 row Griffen Aluminum radiator in the car, and it runs 170 degrees
(using  a 160 degree thermostate).  Oh yeah, I have a new (different) 327 in
the  car.

Is your engine one of the old style Chevy blocks (283, 327, or 350)? or do
you have an LS?  LS engines are meant to run over 200 degrees.

Gary

In a message dated 8/21/2012 5:33:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,