[V8Vairs] rear mounted 215 pg

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Jan 17 11:36:12 EST 2013

On 1/17/2013 7:40 AM, moonpie8n at comcast.net wrote:

    I  HAD  THE  CHANCE  TO  DRIVE  A  '63  OLDS  F-85 [215 ENGINE]. IT
is  virtually  the  same  as  a  aluminum  v-8 powered 'vair. IT  was
plenty  "Zippy"  but  I  d on't  think it  is  worth  the  work  to
change  a 'vair  over. The  231 Buick  is  capable  of  making  much
more  power  for  the  same money [and  same  hardware]. What  do  you
think???   Bob

Craig Replies:
Comparison yields a mixed bag.  The Corvair is lighter than the F85 so
the engine is peppier in the Corvair platform. The all-aluminum 215 is
lighter than the all cast-iron 231/3.8; probably 100# difference, so
there's another edge. There are performance parts for both, including
superchargers and turbos. The 215 is easily stretched to 300/5.0L. Not
sure about the 231/3.8 but stock they only go up to 4.1L.  Reverse
rotation parts are scarce for both, in fact I'm not sure if there are
ANY rev-rot parts for the 3.8.  The shorter 3.8 V6 is much easier to fit
in a Corvair, that's for sure.

My Olds 215 (now 255/4.2L) is more than zippy. While nothing like a 350
would be, it still packs a wallop. Not scary quick; but certainly
eye-opening. No doubt right at the limit of the Corvair transaxle.

If you're looking for an easy fit, medium displacement engine with
readily available rev-rot and performance parts, my suggestion would be
the Chevy 4.3. Aluminum heads are readily available and there are even
(rare) aluminum 4.3 blocks. I did my Olds 215 (255) as a nostalgia
piece, which coincidentally, gets down the road in a pretty big hurry
and offers stock weight and handling. Works for me and meets my goals.
Craig

Some pix etc on this Corvair Center thread:
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,405466,405466#msg-405466