[V8Vairs] rear mounted 215 pg

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Thu Jan 17 11:50:59 EST 2013

My Olds 215 (now 255/4.2L) is more than zippy. While nothing like a 350
would be, it still packs a wallop. Not scary quick; but certainly
eye-opening. No doubt right at the limit of the Corvair transaxle.

If you're looking for an easy fit, medium displacement engine with
readily available rev-rot and performance parts, my suggestion would be
the Chevy 4.3. Aluminum heads are readily available and there are even
(rare) aluminum 4.3 blocks. I did my Olds 215 (255) as a nostalgia
piece, which coincidentally, gets down the road in a pretty big hurry
and offers stock weight and handling. Works for me and meets my goals.
Craig

Some pix etc on this Corvair Center thread:
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,405466,405466#msg-405466

Jim Briggs'   Olds 266 ci  on a Powerglide with AC on is real peppy!  And when I rode in it  the jetting was so lean that the engine would overheat on long highway runs...since re-jetted correctly!

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages