[V8Vairs] trans axles

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 16:52:19 EDT 2014

Kent writes:

I  recently tried to lower the front end by 2" by cutting that amount out
of the  springs. The ending result was the car came down about 3 1/2" which
is too  much for my taste.

It seems that I have to do things 2-3 times before  I'm satisfied with a
final change. Something I expected but I was hoping to  reduce those
evolutions by this point.

So, you keep cutting it and it is still too short? <grin>

- If you do try again, a single coil cut, along with a tweaking to flatten
the end may be quite enough. The Coil-over solution does sound interesting.
 There are several aftermarket brands - intended for street use, not race
use -  that use a tapered spring which seats in the original upper pocket,
and tapers  down to the 2.5" face of the adjuster ring seat on the bottom body
of the  shock. The stock lower control arm on the late Corvair should be
reinforced for  load carrying duty, which is way beyond shock absorber loads.
-  Seth