<VV> Rear Tire Wear

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 01:37:35 EST

I only put about 2000 miles on the car all of last summer,  but the outside
edges of the tire to about an inch and a half towards the centre of the tire is
worn right to the wear bars on both rear tires.

"SNIP"

Sounds like you have too much negative camber. Get a good alignment.
You may also need some bushings or other parts replaced.

Bruce

Sorry, Bruce, Wear like that on the outside would indicate too much positive
Camber. - Or maybe a ton of toe-in!)

Terry -  A stock corvair should have almost zero camber on the rear, or maybe
a little bit of negative. But definitely not much positive (unless you just
put in new rear springs!). The settings that are best for you are highly
dependent on your driving needs and style. A bunch of negative camber might be just
the thing for the autocrossing hot-shoe, but for regular street driving, it
will wear the inside portion of the tire more. I would take Bob Helts advice and
do a visual checkout, but then - (and at least before you sacrifice and more
tire rubber and $$$) get the four wheels aligned (to factory settings). At
least it is easier to find shops that can do a good four-wheel alignment these
days. 20 years ago it was tough, few cars had rear wheels that adjusted. - Seth