<VV> Corsa '65 4-spd transmission, loose mainshaft bearing

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:50:24 EST

Hi Rich,
Yes, play around the main bearing would be an issue.  It's probable that at
some time the bearing seized and turned in the case.  I assume you are talking
about the front bearing, since the rear bearing is in an aluminum,
replaceable, casting.  If the clearance is only a couple of thousanths and assuming that
the transmission worked properly, you could replace the bearing and mount it
the case with Loctite's "stud and bearing mount".  If there were any other
issues with the transmission, replacement 64-5 transmissions are readily available
at low cost.
Craig Nicol
66 Monza 140/4 EFI
<snip>I noticed in my transmission main bearing that there is some play on the
outside of the bearing race and the tranny case.  Does this mean my
trans case is toast or in severe need of reconditioning?  <unsnip>