Fwd: <VV> Lon Anderson

Melaskea@wmconnect.com Melaskea@wmconnect.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:03:35 EST

From: Melaskea@wmconnect.com
Full-name: Melaskea
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:01:28 EST
Subject: Re: <VV> Lon Anderson
To: VairMech@aol.com virtualvairs@corvair.org

Ken, and everyone else,
This is Lon... You're right about things happening for a reason.... the
reason I broke my leg is because I stepped on a very slippery rock... the rock is a
good 10x20, nice and flat, with moss and freshly cut grass scattered about
the surface... after it had rained all day tuesday I drove home, parked the
truck, and started my walk to the house (the log cabin I've mentioned to several
of you from time to time) ... I was about halfway to the house when I fell,
about 20 feet from both the house and the truck. I knew I'd broken ssomething,
because I'd heard the "POP"... along with the resultant pain.  The bad part is I
have no neighbors to speak of, and I'm down there alone, since Cheryl and the
girls are up in Crittenden waiting to get out of schol in late May and get
the house sold... so there I sit, with a broken leg, on a wet rock big enough to
park a bus on, wondering what to do. "if I can get to the house I KNOW I'll
feel better in a little while and everything wil be ok..." so I stood up and
put just a tiny bit of weight on it... NOPE, NOT A GOOD IDEA!... My better
judgement got to me and said "GET TO THE TRUCK"... so I got down on my hands and
knees and crawled to the truck... not an easy task, considering both of my knees
are shot. I got to the truck,stuck my right leg in the passenger side floor
board and drove 18 miles to the hospital with my left foot.
Upon reaching the hospital I found someone outside and politely asked them to
send someone outside with a wheelchair because I'd broken my leg... when they
came out I kept hearing the same thing... "Are you sure it isn't a bad
sprain? You don't seen to be in much pain for it to be a broken leg"... I looked at
them and said "Do you REALLY want to know how much pain I'm in?"... No one
took me up on the offer.... finally, a Dr said "What makes you think its a break"
I said "When I move it like this I can feel it go CRUNCH"... the took me in
to x-ray, and when I saw the girl's expression I KNEW it was bad.
Anyway, they put it in a splint and said for me to see an orthopedist ASAP
and gave me the name of one locally.... when I called them the next day they
wouldn't see me because my insurance wouldn't pay for them down there... so
Cheryl came down and got me. I saw the Dr yesterday, and he set the bone as best he
could. Both right leg bones are broken about an inch or two above the ankle.
The small bone has about a 4 inch crack at an angle like this "/" and the big
bone has two spiral breaks, similar to a tree getting twisted in a tornado.
They said if I hadn't had my "high top work boots" on it would have popped
through the skin... I doubt I could have driven myself to the hospital if that had
happened.
Anyway, the Dr will look at it in a week and see if it is starting to knit
back together.. if not he may opt for surgery. He said I might have this cast on
for 3 or 4 months, since it IS a major bone and it DOES hold up a lot of
weight... oh well....
Thanks for all the prayers and get well wishes, they are appreciated and
welcomed. As for the camping during the convention, I'm sure as hell ain't gonna
let this stop me! So don't let it stop any of you guys!
If you need to contact me please use this email address. This is Cheryl's,
and I know I'll be here for at least a week or two... maybe longer if she has
her way.
:-)
Thanks again, and I'm sorry this had minimal Corvair content... at least none
of them were hurt like the last time I hurt my leg (May 31, 1998, hit a tree
in the 'brier, couldn't make the St Louis Convention)...
Take care,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson temporarily in Crittenden, KY while all my Corvairs are in White
Mills/Glendale KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor