<VV> Electric Pumps vs Turn Cut-Out

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:19:09 -0500

On Apr 3, 2004, at 11:47 AM, Matt Nall wrote:

> Joe,  the  "turn cut-out"  is exactly that....cut out....cut off...of
> fuel....because the fuel in the bowl moves sideways and and UNCOVERS
> the JET.....
>
> The easiest way to remedy this is to RAISE the float level.....but
> then a car
> that is set up like this, will push fuel out the vent in a LONG  hard
> corner
> and cause the engne to FLOOD / run rich / sputter / etc..  That's the
> reason
> for the "extended bowl vents"
>
> The "real"  fix for this is to do one of 2 things...
>
> A   Re-locate the jets in the bowl [ Steve Goodman / Seth Emerson  are
> 2 that
> do / used to do this].
>
> B   Use the OTTO  carb rotator kit....[ your favorite vendor].
>

> Matt N.
>
> ps   I always just raise the float level 1/8"   works for the street...

I have the typical extended vent tubes. I used brake line tubing, as I
recall. I don't know what my floats are set at.

It's been my experience in several years of autocrossing that this will
cure the turn cut out problem for typical turns on an autocross course
or race track. However, if the turn is a long sustained one, it fails.
An example of these situations would be a typical slalom in an
autocross or a typical turn would not affect the car. Having to make a
180 degree turn or more, probably would.

When I ran at VIR we'd go down the main straight, then around turn one,
a long sustained turn of 180 degrees or so. About half way around the
power was gone as she was choking for gas. As soon as the turn
straightened out, it'd take off. It wasn't real bad; not like the
engine stopped or something, but it was bad enough. Years ago I ran an
autocross where we had to make a complete circle around a pole. It was
actually more than 360 degrees as we had to go completely around, then
go about another 180 degrees. As you can imagine, this was a problem.

On a freeway cloverleaf it will cut out too, if you really run it hard.
Of course I never do this as it may cause me to exceed the posted speed
limit and drive in a careless manner.

Bruce

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina