<VV> Re: Corvair Developement at GM

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:12:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/1/2004 9:55:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> I'm new to this - hope this is the sort of thing that is of interest . . .
> Was visiting a family member last week who was in engineering with GM for
> most of a career lifetime, worked close with Harley Earl.  He tells of when
> the first Monza model was created.  The idea was to come up with something
> less spartan aimed at women.  The mock-up included a sliding canvas type
> roof panel (VW's did something like this I think) cut into a hardtop coupe.
>
> Seats were removed and replaced with something in leather.  Very upscale.
> Obviously the roof idea never made it to production.  This prototype model
> eventually was bought by a GM exec who sold it to my wife's uncle 6 months
> later.  He then drove it for years.  I'm hoping to get him to find a photo
> some day, but no luck so far.  Will see what other 'vair stories he
> remembers.  My buying one recently has got him reminiscing . . .
>
> Doug in Ohio   64 convert, daily driver

  Doug,
  The car you speak of is the Super Monza.  You'll find a picture of it at
the Corvair Museum site by going to corvair.org.  Your friend should be happy to
know it still exists and is restored.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe