<VV> dash pad on 63 spyder

Geoff Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:46:43 -0600

Hello!
I think the important thing to decide is what you like best.  Padded dash
or bare paint.  IMHO I think it would be the same amount of work either way
to make it look nice.   I think it is not any worse then some of the other
jobs you listed that you have done to the car to put a new dash pad in.   I
put a new dash pad in my '63.  The repruduction  pads fit nicely.  The
hardest part is final placement.  The old dash pad has to be removed.  Then
the fun part, removing the old glue holding the original pad down.  So you
would have to do that either way.  The next  part is trimming the new pad
to fit.  I lucked out on this as I have a front clip with the dash that I
could place the new one on and "fit".  I recall you have to lower the
steering column and remove the instrument panel, or at least pull it out a
bit, and also remove other associated trim. Then you have to glue both
sides with contact cement, then its time for placemnet.  You have to have a
helper there!  Do a couple of dry runs without glue to practice placing it.
Since after you get the glue on there and it hits, it will not come back
off!  Once you and yo buddy are set, carefully place it, and smooth it down
into place.  Mine went fairly smoothly but not perfectly.  Unfortunately
about a week after I put the new pad in, the car took a hit from a cell
phone driver and sat for a year during major body and engine repair.  I had
not got all the  trim around the front of the windshield in, and it sat
without it for the whole time, so pulled away a bit, otherwise it fits
perfectly.  One other thing I heard is that it can be conciderably easier
to do with the windshield out.
Hope that helps!
-Geoff Johsnon
63 Monza Cp