<VV> dash pad on 63 spyder (a bit long)

JWCorvair@aol.com JWCorvair@aol.com
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:39:41 -0400

I replaced the dash pad on my 62 sedan. While not difficult, it does require you to take your time if you want a decent appearing dash. Plan on two to three weekends.

First, I removed everything from my dash:

Instrument cluster
PG transmission selector
Glove box
Ash tray
Radio
Radio bezel
Steering wheel
Turn signal lever

I also pulled some of the wiring harness away from the fire wall so I could access the screw holes next to the windshield.

Place the pad onto the dash and mark where you want to trim excess material. Be very careful cutting out the material that covers the speaker and ashtray openings. This area is thick and you will need a stiff razor knife to cut the material. Trimming the edges is a bit easier because it does not have any padding. I used a pair of shop scissors to trim the edges. You will get better results if you trim away small pieces of plastic.

You will need help placing the pad onto the dash. Definately rehearse installing the the pad. The contact cement is very strong and, once set, you will likely damage the dash pad if you try to pull it free.

Once the dash is in place you will need a sharp, fine point awl to pierce the plastic at the screw holes. Punch through the plastic, align the trim pieces, and screw on the trim pieces. Most of my trim screws were slightly rusted so I replaced them with stainless steel screws. The windshield is definately in the way and it would be easier if it was out, but with a little perserverance you can screw the trim back on. I installed the screws next the the windshield with a right-angle screw driver.

Finally, you get to reinstall everything you removed. Yay!

Joe White
Corsa, RMC
62 Sedan (I just dropped my seats off to have Clark's covers installed)
Boulder, CO