<VV> dash pad on 63 spyder

DSJKLING@sbcglobal.net DSJKLING@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:55:13 -0500

I put one in on my 63 Spyder.  I had a problem with
the glue.  You must make sure the glue is dry.  It it
is still gasing off it will lift/bubble the cover
making the foam backing separate from the vinyl.  It
is a one shot deal.  Having the windshield out helps
a lot.  It may help to use something to separate the
dash from the pad until you have it in position like
they do with countertop laminate but due to the curve
it is difficult to get it out.  From what I remember,
Clark's instructions were a bit vague on how long to
let the glue dry.  They basically said to put the
glue on and stick it in place and I found out the
hard way that the glue has to be really dry to the
touch without any puddles.  The factory assembly
manual helps explain where you need to concentrate
the glue.  It is important to put it only where the
factory did.  This helps to allow you to slide it
into place before it contacts the glue and takes a
set.  I'm about 95 percent happy with the job I did.
I can see a few places where the glue was still
gassing off and slightly lifted the vinyl but no one
else sees it.  That's the problem with doing your own
restoration, you know where all the imperfections
are!!  The fit is pretty good, it just looks a tad
fuller than the factory pad but it definitely looks
good.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4 spd, 3.89, OEM Upholstery
1963 Spyder,  no engine built yet