<VV> > Engine Problem....What to do?/compression test

VairMech@aol.com VairMech@aol.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:50:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2004 10:09:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Mikeamauro@aol.com writes:
While a straight compression test is one
> indicator of cylinder condition, it leaves a lot of unknowns.  Doesn't
> anyone do leak-down tests anymore to determine if you have a bad
> rocker/lifter rather than just ripping the engine apart?  If I had a bad
> hole in a race engine, step two was always a leak-down!
>
> John

John...My point exactly with my previous post recommending pressurizing the
suspect cylinder, with valves in closed position, and then listening for
where
the air may be leaking from (and is one has a leak down tester, use it).
Can't understand why this tried and proven diagnostic method doesn't seem to
get
an audience here.  I guess most Corvair owners just like to tear everything
down and ask questions later?

    With my experience I can do a compression test and probably tell you what
is wrong with the engine by the number that comes up on the dial.
    I can do the same thing with the leak down test with a LITTLE more
accuracy. The leak down test will take 3 times as long as a compression test.
    With the compression test if you have a low cylinder, put 3-4 squirts of
oil in the cyl. if the comprssion comes up it is piston/rings, and if it does
not then it is probably valves. Time proven and simple.
    Ken Hand