<VV> Broken Engine- A true Story... Not Speculation

chapmanmd@charter.net chapmanmd@charter.net
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:20:38 +0000

I whole-heartedly agree.

I know that for "quick and dirty," a good ole' compression test can be your best friend and invaluable. If you have ever had the fortune (or misfortune?) of pitting a 5 valve Audi, or 12 plug Porsche, or similar at the track during runoffs and lose, seemingly, a cylinder; look down at your watch, and realize that you have about 90 minutes until the next run, I think you might take a different perspective to whether or not you want to take the "tear down first and ask questions later" route. Believe me, it takes stress to a new level.

I have not had the privilege to work on Corvairs for the past 30 years and really do not have a burning desire to yank the engine everytime mine hiccups. Of course, mine does not run, or even have an engine, but I'm being optimistic here. <gggg>

I do not know every idiosyncrasy of the Corvair engine, but hopefully from "listening" to you guys, I'll be competent enough to get there. So, for now, I think I'll keep relying on tools that help me and keep listening to the experts: YOU!!

Ya' know, using tools are what separate us from other barbaric, less evolved primates; isn't it? <gggg>

Have a great day guys!!!

MC