<VV> Brake shoes

Jim Corey jcorey@sonic.net
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:56:41 -0700

I'll reply to this to serve for all who responded.  It was my
recollection that the linings were of different lengths so that one (the
primary) would engage first, and the secondary would follow.  It was to
make for more even braking.  But that's just my faulty memory repeating
something I read (or heard).  While lining costs might have been a
consideration, my guess is that it was an engineering call.  In any
event, the shoes go back.  Once again CORVAIR suppliers prevail.

Thanks to all

Jim Corey
63 Vert
64 Coupe
Both daily drivers

-----Original Message-----
From: N. Joseph Potts [mailto:pottsf@msn.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 6:53 AM
To: Jim Corey; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> Brake shoes

I never tried running shoes like this, and I wouldn't. Drum brakes are
self-energizing, but I believe that with the same length linings on both
shoes, they would NOT be. Pedal effort would be greatly increased.
Lining
length is critical, my experience with other cars indicates, and that is
both absolute AND relative length.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C