<VV> Brake shoes - my vote

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:14:12 -0700

At 12:04 PM 4/7/2004 -0700, Jim Corey wrote:
>I picked up a set of shoes from my FLAP.  Turns out all linings were the
>same length  --  no primary/secondary.  They insisted it would be no
>problem to use the longer linings in both positions.  It it so?
>Jim Corey

Hi Jim,
I thought that the difference in length was to equalize the wear for both
linings.  Since the braking force and wear is greater for the rear linings,
those wear first.  By making the linings longer in the rear, both will wear
somewhat equally.  I think part of this was an economy thing, given the
auto industry tries to save every 1/10 cent it can.  With them wearing
evenly, the consumer would be less inclined to try and only replace the
rear shoe.  I am sure that the two longer linings would fit as well (or
poorly) as one shorter one, since the fit is determined by the diameter and
not the length of the material on the metal.  So my vote would be to use it
as is, but watch the rear shoes for wear rather than expecting both to wear
evenly.

I am certainly eager to hear if I am right or not about these reasons.

Also, note in the Communique a discussion about the lining material being
thicker and not always fitting within the brake drums.  I found this when
replacing a new drum and new linings.  There was simply not enough
adjustment to allow the shoes to retract far enough.  Do NOT try and bang
the drums on, since you will lock the brakes up and not be able to get the
drums off.  I found that I needed to modify the adjuster mechanism so that
I could adjust it closer.  I ground down the internally threaded end of the
adjuster so that there was slightly more adjustment into the mechanism.  I
also needed to shorten the externally threaded part.  I finally ground the
slot deeper in the forked parts as they mate with the shoes by using a
Dremel grinding wheel and a small file.  By doing all of this, I could then
get the shoes to fit.  I liked that approach better than arcing the shoes,
since it is no longer done in CA, and I also had more lining material with
this approach.  You DO need to be quite cautious when working with brakes
and make sure you don't compromise the design or reliability with any
changes or modifications.

Larry