<VV> Re: oil filters

kaczmarek@charter.net kaczmarek@charter.net
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:30:38 +0000

> Hi Bob
Sorry for being nosy, and I am not trying to steal Unca Lew's fire.....

I have cut a bunch of filter casings off to look at them.

I did it for a display at Parts America about 7 years back.

I ran a Fram, Purolator, Motorcraft and a K&N on my 87 Mercury 302CI for 3K miles each, and after letting them drip for a couple weeks after changing them out. then cut the case at the sealing lip at the bottom with a cutoff wheel.

Obviously I am not an ASE Engineer, and I haven't the knowledge or equipment to measure total particulate extracted, or any other measurable variable. All I went with was how they looked after 3K miles. The Vehicle ran a mix of hwy and city miles, a commute of 80 miles per day.

FRAM---Looked like a roll of toilet paper dunked in dirty oil. The pleats were dilapidated and crumbling. A true piece of junk

Purolator---not much better. Filter medium pretty shot,
good bit of particulate trapped though.

Motorcraft--I believe made by Allied Signal, same company that makes FRAM, but a better constructed filter.

K&N--Filter built like an Abrams Tank---after the oil drained out, except for the dirt it trapped, it looked new.

Just my observations....
Regards

HANK