<VV> Re: oil filters

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:31:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/9/04 1:32:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
kaczmarek@charter.net writes:

> Hi Bob
> Sorry for being nosy, and I am not trying to steal Unca Lew's fire.....

Hi Hank,
Thanks for the info. But I still would like to know how one determines the
ability of any filter to catch and hold dirt and metal particles by inspection
of the filter. Sure your inspection showed the filters condition, but how do
you determine the dirt catching ability compared to the dirt entering the filter
just by looking at it? Maybe your filter that was full of dirt actually
caught less percentage wise than a fairly clean filter. Aren't we really looking
for some kind of a filtering efficiency for different particle sizes? At least I
am!  And I would like to know just how internal inspection might measure this
so that we can say one filter is "good" and better than another. It would
seem that looking at cutaways, while interesting, are like trying to determine if
a book is worth reading by looking at the paper and ink quality.
Regards,
Bob Helt