<VV> Re: oil filters

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:29:39 -0400

I wonder if one could run a car for a set period of time under set
conditions with a particular oil filter, then drain the oil and send a
sample away to one of those labs that test your oil for a few bucks.
Then fill it up with oil and do the same thing with a different filter.

Short of having a highly sophisticated lab set-up, would this be a
fairly valid way to evaluate filters?

Bruce

On Apr 9, 2004, at 5:31 PM, BobHelt@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/9/04 1:32:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> kaczmarek@charter.net writes:
>
>> Hi Bob
>> Sorry for being nosy, and I am not trying to steal Unca Lew's
>> fire.....
>
> Hi Hank,
> Thanks for the info. But I still would like to know how one determines
> the
> ability of any filter to catch and hold dirt and metal particles by
> inspection
> of the filter. Sure your inspection showed the filters condition, but
> how do
> you determine the dirt catching ability compared to the dirt entering
> the filter
> just by looking at it? Maybe your filter that was full of dirt actually
> caught less percentage wise than a fairly clean filter. Aren't we
> really looking
> for some kind of a filtering efficiency for different particle sizes?
> At least I
> am!  And I would like to know just how internal inspection might
> measure this
> so that we can say one filter is "good" and better than another. It
> would
> seem that looking at cutaways, while interesting, are like trying to
> determine if
> a book is worth reading by looking at the paper and ink quality.
> Regards,
> Bob Helt

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina