<VV> Re: oil filters

AKG hdflstf@earthlink.net
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:43:48 -0400

In my line of work, 'logic' like that gets people killed.  In other words -
show me the data.  I would need to see test data such as subjecting each
filter to a known quantity and size distribution of particulate over and
specific time and then evaluating what particulate is not caught by the
filter.  Then repeating this test for each type of filter.  On another note,
some FLAPS use the pitch about more pleats in their filters.  Just because a
filter looks better on the inside and has more pleats does not necessarily
mean it does a better job of filtering the oil.  More pleats would merely
imply a potential to catch a larger quantity of particulate, again not
substantiated by any test data.

The Artful Dodger.

I don't think looking at the construction of the filter is entirely without
merit.  If the filter is well constructed it would be a reasonable
assumption that if the manufacturer didn't skimp on construction, they
probably didn't skimp on the filtering capability, either.  While it would
be best to have objective data, in the absence thereof, subjective
construction data is, in my opinion, better than nothing.