<VV> Steps to taking off head?

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:35:47 EDT

Well, without an air compressor available, I won't be able to do a leakdown
test on my 69 110hp that has low compression in the #4 cylinder.  I have also
found that there are no shops that work on Corvairs in the DFW area, so it
looks like I am going to have to tear into this engine myself.

Before moving, I had an old Corvair repair manual that showed step by step
how to do repairs on a Corvair.  Unfortunately, it is stored somewhere that I
can't find it. Is there somewhere on the web that would have the steps to taking
off a head?  Absent that, would someone have a listing of the order in which
to proceed?

I have jack stands and a floor jack so I can lower the engine a bit to remove
the head when the time comes.  I realize I will have to unhook the exhaust,
take off the carb. on that side, remove shielding on that side.  Does the
"turkey roaster" have to come off, or can I do everything from underneath?

In what order do I remove stuff to take off the head?  Do I take the rocker
arms off?  Once everything is out from around the head, can you just remove the
head bolts and nuts and remove the head in total?  What about the pushrods
and tubes?  Do they come out and when?  What to watch for, any tricks to know
about?  How to avoid removing studs?

I realize this is probably more in-depth than most issues, but as I rookie in
Corvair engines, I want to make sure I do this right and don't screw it up.
Like was said on Apollo 13, "lets work the problem people, don't make it worse
by guessing".

Todd Miller
Dallas TX