<VV> Powerglide and General Restoration Question

Russell Heim chevyii@optonline.net
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:15:07 -0400

I test drove a 1964 110 powerglide convertible today.  This car appears to be in good shape mechanically, except for the transmission.  It needs some body work and a paint job.  It also needs a new top and boot.  The asking price is $2500.

I drove the car around a parking lot and it car wouldn't shift into high gear.  The owner said the powerglide needs and "e-clip" for high gear.  I've owned five powerglide cars (Impalas and Chevy IIs) but I haven't heard of an "e-clip".  Is this the Corvair equivalent of a band?  This Corvair shifted into reverse and neutral without problems.  Are Corvair powerglide parts readily available?  If so, is there anyone left who knows how to work on them?  I'm new to Corvairs so please excuse me if my questions sound basic.

If I buy this car it would be my first Corvair.  I've always liked them I recently caught the bug to finally buy one.  I've been through a restoration before with a 1963 Chevy II Super Sport.

Is my estimate of $3500 - $4500 for a repaint, including some rust repair, in the ballpark?

The owner has a lot of N.O.S. trim for this car.  I think that should save me a lot on the restoration.  How much of the trim is reproduced for 1964?  I ask because there's no reproduction trim for 1963 Chevy II and N.O.S. pieces are rare and expensive.  Even used pieces, especially SS trim are very expensive.

This car is Goldwood Yellow with a black top and interior.  Is that a common 1964 color?

By the way, is owning a Chevy II considered taboo among Corvair aficionados?

Thanks in advance for your input.