<VV> Powerglide and General Restoration Question

WadeHalsey hihal@adelphia.net
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:36:44 -0400

Russell Heim wrote:

>I test drove a 1964 110 powerglide convertible today.  This car appears to be in good shape mechanically, except for the transmission.  It needs some body work and a paint job.  It also needs a new top and boot.  The asking price is $2500.
>
>I drove the car around a parking lot and it car wouldn't shift into high gear.  The owner said the powerglide needs and "e-clip" for high gear.  I've owned five powerglide cars (Impalas and Chevy IIs) but I haven't heard of an "e-clip".  Is this the Corvair equivalent of a band?  This Corvair shifted into reverse and neutral without problems.  Are Corvair powerglide parts readily available?  If so, is there anyone left who knows how to work on them?  I'm new to Corvairs so please excuse me if my questions sound basic.

Hello Russell,

If you liked your Chevy II, you will love a Corvair. Others will soon
chime in with technical advice about PG's and body work etc. While you
are waiting, here are some websites for you to peruse. The Corvair club
(CORSA) is first, a website for the national convention in Lexington KY
is next and the two largest Corvair vendors are listed also.

Let the list know where you live; chances are one of us isn't far from
you and might be able to look at your prospective purchase with you.

Wade Halsey
Chillicothe, Ohio

http://www.corvair.org/
http://www.drewhunt.com/corvairconvention/