<VV> One more head question e-mail

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:10:17 EDT

OK, I know that I have asked a lot of questions about by low compression
problem and head removal, and I just need to get on with tearing it apart, but I
have just a couple of more questions.

I was out this afternoon taking off accessories, removing shrouds, and
spraying the head and exhaust bolts with penetrating spray.  While doing this, I was
able to get my fiancee out to turn over the engine while I looked from
underneath with the rocker cover off.

I got to admit, this engine really looks clean, at least under the rocker
covers.  I suppose this should be the case in an engine that has not hit 50,000
miles yet.  As we turned the engine over, I heard no unusual mechanical noises,
the thing just spun over freely.  Nothing hitting, clacking or clanking.  The
valve train went up and down, around, just like it was supposed to.  I could
not tell any difference in rocker arm travel between #4 cylinder, the one with
only 60 lbs. compression, and the other two cylinders.

As I can't do a leakdown test, I am just guessing that the problem has to be
one of 4 things:
a valve seat just loose enough to cause low compression but not out enough to
cause anything to bind or allow the perceptable close of the valve
a hole in a piston
a broken piston ring
a bad head gasket
 The engine seemed to run smoothly when I started it the last time, seemed to
run up OK, and then I notice a miss like it was loading up on gas.  I didn't
notice any preceptable smoke, and the engine has never used oil.

Now, with a hole in the piston or a broken ring, would it not smoke?  I
believe it was Patiomatt that said you could put some small amount of oil in the
spark plug hole, run the compression test again, and if it goes up, it's rings,
stays the same, its valves. I think I will try this before I tear the head off
it I can find something small to get some oil in there.  Was it an ounce or
so?

How common is a broken head gasket?  I don't suppose I could be lucky enough
that this would be the problem.

Someone mentioned putting on acorn nuts on the upper head studs to keep the
ends of the threads clean.  Was this done by Chevy?  I just looked at mine and
they have the chrome acorn nuts on them.  Do you take these nuts off first by
going shallow with the socket and then take off the head nut?

THanks again for all the help

Todd
Dallas