<VV> One more head question e-mail

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:17:45 -0400

Generally, a blown head gasket produces a hissing noise. Something you can
try before pulling the head (it's cheap, easy, and very unlikely to help):
retorque all your head nuts/studs. If you don't have access to the torquing
sequence or the specification, you've GOT to get a Shop Manual, even if that
means buying another copy (they're cheap, and readily available from Corvair
vendors). The things holding the head down are those upper studs you found
chrome nuts on, and the studs that the rockers are mounted on.
     This is something you'll have to do when putting the head back on
anyway, so learn how now, and give it a chance to do magic for you.
     Chevy did not install any acorn nuts. Their presence on your car
SUGGESTS that the head has already been off at least once in the car's life,
but of course, their presence does not positively PROVE that they have been.
If the threads underneath are clean, it will improve your chances of
removing the head nuts without turning the studs out of the block. I turned
one stud out in a recent head replacement. I cleaned up its threads, put on
a LITTLE anti-seize compound, screwed the stud back in to the prescribed
length, put the head on, and drove away happy. Acorn nuts are on my head
studs, you may be sure.
     By the way, I believe a meaningful leakdown test can be performed from
a 10-gallon or larger air tank pressurized to 150psi or more. The suspect
cylinder can be tested, and possibly even compared to an adjacent cylinder,
on one tank if you're quick about it.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C