<VV> Solvent Test for Heads

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:38:20 -0400

Have I been doing my "solvent tests" wrong? I set the head with the
combustion chambers pointing up and fill them with liquid (kerosene, but
water would do fine).
     Then I watch for liquid coming out of either the exhaust ports or the
carburetor opening(s - mine is a 140), or both.
     By hand, I cleaned up and lapped one head to be liquid tight, while the
other head, which had been three-angle ground, I left alone after it failed
the liquid test. Today, after months of service, the "hand-made" head shows
noticeably higher compression than the professionally done head. Both are in
an acceptable range, and not TOO different from each other. Engine runs
well.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C