<VV> Re:Head Cases and Space Oddys / (humor?)

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:40:53 -0400

Well "WildBill Hubblescope", We are now sure of one thing........
There were no "Stud Muffins" working on this Corvair........
only unlicensed Gorilla Grunt Torquers !!! <GGG> Must have
learned on "Rustangs" or Broncos !!! <GGG>

da Chuckster
Chuck Armer
///////////////////////////////////
At 10:52 PM 4/11/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Geoff and I tried to remove his old cylinder head today -- the one with the
>dropped intake valve seat.  After all the nuts were removed we took to
>trying to loosen the head up from the cylinders and could not get the head
>to come off of cylinder #2.  After nearly a half hour of cussing and tapping
>and prying (yes, two broken fins!), I FINALLY realized something must be
>holding it on still.  So I looked carefully at the protruding upper studs
>and LO & BEHOLD! - the upper rear most stud was practically welded to the
>head by aluminum material that had been jammed into the head when the
>previous mechanic(??) had decided to use a regular hex nut instead of the
>correct washer head nuts.  Of course, when he torqued the nut down, it
>chewed up the soft aluminum of the head and jammed it in to the hole,
>locking the stud into the head.
>
>Work commitments kept me from freeing up the stud today, but, weather
>permitting, I should get it done tomorrow.  I will take pictures and post
>them.
>
>I think they should start requiring a license to use a torque wrench!!
>
>Bill Hubbell
>TCC President 2003-2004
>CORSA Eastern Division Director Candidate 2004
>
>"No Corvairs were harmed in the typing of this message"

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/