<VV> 65 AM/FM Wiring - Now Repair

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:21:36 -0700

At 2153 04/12/2004 -0500, Roger Gault wrote:
>OK, that was an interesting experiment.  The radio's not dead, but it's
>badly wounded by 24 years in the garage.  I'm sure the caps are dried out.

I'm sure you're right.   There's a can electrolytic and several tubulars, all
of which are suspect.   The squeal...

>It squeals if you turn it up very far.

...is the tip-off.

>  It does, however, whisper nicely on
>FM.

But does it receive anything on FM?    For that matter... is AM reception
actually there but very distorted and garbled and squeals when you crank the
volume up?

>It seems like there was some mention of a good radio repair guy on the list
>some time back.  Anybody have any experiences to relate in this area?

...that depends upon ones outlook...   I've had some small experience with
Delco radios and I've actually been in the business long enough to have done
warranty work on that particular radio chassis design (2400 series) and I'm
not
actually that old... :)     Yours sounds like a typical repair that is very
common for a radio that's 30+ years old.

I believe the fellow that  was recently talked about on the list is Fred
Bybee.   He advertises in the Communique.   I don't advertise.    He does it
for a living while these days I do it as a sideline for club members and other
local carclub guys who want vintage car audio gear repaired without going
broke
doing it... oft times I swap out radio work for car parts... once fixed a
radio
for a guy on the list and in payment the guy sent me a 'Vair trailer hitch,
good deal both ways I think.   I'm not out to make a killing in cash for radio
work... usually I fix broken lasers for my main paycheck.    Low power lasers,
I value my hide and eyesight....;)

Fred is a competent radio repair guy.

tony..