<VV> Separating rear axle bearing from brake backing plate

JRVIDRINE@aol.com JRVIDRINE@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:20:01 EDT

Howdy!

I got up early this morning and started taking the right rear axle assembly
apart on my 1962 Monza so I can change out a bad rear axle bearing.  I thought
that the problem would be in taking the yoke off.  I'll find out about that
later.

I dissassembled everything according to the 61 shop manual.  The only problem
is that the rear axle bearing assembly seems to be firmly attached to the
brake backing plate.  The pictures in the manual show the axle (with bearing)
coming out of the rear brake backing plate without dissassembling the brakes.  I
think that can be done if and when the bearing assembly decides to come loose.
 I'm sure this is the original bearing and has been in place for 42 years.  I
took the 4 nuts off of the studs on the rear suspension arm and got the "U"
joint off.  The axle moved outward, but attached to the brake backing plate.  I
thought a few strikes with a punch and a hammer on the sides of the bearing
assembly (directly on the brake backing plate) would help.  So far no luck.  I
have sprayed Kano Aerokroil penetrating oil all around the bearing assembly
(at the edges) and in back of the plate where the axle comes out.  I tapped on
it a considerable time and have given up for the moment.

If anyone knows of a trick, or something that isn't in the manual, I would
appreciate any help.  I hope that when I get home this afternoon I will have
something that will help.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
62 Monza PG Coupe