<VV> Separating rear axle bearing from brake backing plate

Williams, Rickie williamr@lindsey.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:48:29 -0500

My approach would be to put the backing plate nuts back on to about 1/4 an
inch from tight, then take a sharp flat chisel with vice grips clamped to it
as a handle for one hand and draw back and swing hard with a hefty hammer
and hit the chisel.  This is to be done from the brake shoe side of the
backing plate with the chisel aimed at the crack between the plate and the
bearing housing. The reason for putting the nuts back on most of the way is
to one take care of the majority of the threads and also to keep the pieces
from flopping around and thus using up all the energy produced by the swing
of your hammer.

Rickie Williams
Columbia, KY