<VV> Hitch in Steering

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:51:19 -0400

My '66 had a similar problem.  After I saw what happened, I was glad I
wasn't on a long trip!  I had re-built the steering box.  The coupler
bolt attaching the steering box to the shaft worked loose.  It was a new
nut/bolt.   Bad friction-style bolt!  Flopped while turning.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 8:59 PM
To: Corvair List
Subject: <VV> Hitch in Steering

My 66 has developed a subtle "hitch" in its steering that is evident at
low speeds and seems to occur somewhere around the straight-ahead
position. It is intermittent, getting worse (of course), and today made
a very soft bang or snap when letting the wheel turn past the point at
which the hitch developed.
     From the pitman-arm bushing out, the whole suspension/steering
system is new-ish. I include "ish" only to indicate that all these new
parts not long ago performed flawlessly, and did so for long enough that
I really don't suspect any of them, nor their installation. From the
steering box to the lower shaft bearing, the system is, as far as I
know, virginal. I replaced the top bearing (at the steering wheel) a few
years ago. New-ish stuff includes all bushings, ball joints, the
springs, and tie rods including ends.
     The behavior of the steering otherwise is perfect in all respects -
no shimmy or looseness. Except for the KYB shocks and 195/70R14 tires on
14x6 steel rims, the front end is all stock. Both have been in service
long enough that I don't consider them suspects.
     The idler arm is original, but I don't suspect it because the
steering is so tight (as noted above). Should I suspect it?
     My suspicions center on either the box or the coupling.
     Any suggestions as to what I should address first? Thanks.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C