<VV> Window Stickers (was Chevy Dealerships in Arlington, VA)

Steven J. Serenska corvair@serenska.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:19:11 -0400

Group:

>I am going to create a window sticker for my 63 corvan and was
>interested in getting it as close to original as possible.

I have been looking into the various types of window stickers that were
attached to Corvairs.  I had originally been under the impression that
there were four basic types:

    60-63    (dealer prepared)
    64-65    (factory prepared, no color)
    66-67(?) (factory prepared, teal lines & boxes)
    68-69    (factory prepared, blue lines & boxes)

Somewhere in my research, I came across this paragraph on window
stickers: "A Moroney Label is the sticker that is affixed to a brand new
car when it is delivered to the consumer.  A law was passed by the 85th
Congress in 1958 requiring all automobile manufacturers to affix a price
label to all new automobiles showing Manufacturers Suggested Retail
Prices for vehicle and all options installed at the factory.  This law
is Public Law 85-506 and was proposed by Senator John Moroney, hence the
name Moroney Label.  This was to begin with the introduction of the new
1959 models.  Early window stickers were very basic, listing dealer info
and optional equipment only."

If the above paragraph is true, it would seem that all Corvairs would
have had window stickers applied at the factory.  However, all the ones
I've ever seen from pre-1964 cars were essentially dealer invoices that
had been taped to the window.  Is this wrong?  Were window stickers
applied by Chevrolet on 1960-63 Corvairs?  If so, does anybody have a
copy of one they could share?

I've collected several examples from 1964-1969, but all the ones prior
to 1964 seemed to be prepared by the dealer using a pre-printed invoice
form and a typewriter.  If anyone could email an earlier example to me,
I'd be happy to put it on a website for all to see.  Please let me know
if anyone would like to see the other examples as well.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

Steven J. Serenska

'66 Corsa Coupe -- Brought out last weekend
'65 Monza Convertible -- Coming out next weekend
http://www.serenska.com/Idealgarage