<VV> Turbo advance/pressure retard

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:37:26 EDT

Matt,
    While you CAN drill the throttle body from the Corvair YH carbs to add
ported vacuum, it isn't easy to locate the inside opening of the hole correctly
so that it is JUST upstream of the closed throttle plate and "moves"
downstream as soon as the throttle is opened.  One alternative is to find a YH carb
throttle body from an NA car different from the Corvair, such as an early 6
cylinder Corvette or a Nash.  Since these were normally aspirated cars, their carbs
came from the factory with the vacuum advance port already correctly drilled
and tapped for an external connection.  At the last CORSA Convention, a flea
market vendor was selling a bunch of YH carbs and I found (and bought) the only
one of them that had this connection so I knew it wasn't from a Corvair.  Or
you could try an eBay search for a non-Corvair YH carb.
    An easier way is to simply buy Dale's vacuum advance/pressure retard
setup and add Ray Sedman's parts that disable the vacuum advance at idle, thereby
correctly mimicking the action of the carb's vacuum port.  Ray's available at
american-pi.com
    Incidentally, further details about this are in my Turbocharging chapter
of the "Corvair Basics" book available from CORSA or your local Corvair club
for $20.
    Regards,
    Frank "if it don't go, boost it" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/16/04 12:25:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,