<VV> 102 head replacement

Marc Sheridan sheridan@bright.net
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:19:56 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "lloyd biggerstaff (by way of "Harry Jensen, CORSA Executive
Secretary" <corsa@corvair.org>)" <lloydscorvan@yahoo.com>
> If I do not adjust the lash correctly after replacing the heads, is there
> chance it will not start?

Yes, if you over tighten them, it will hold the valves open  and it will not
start. Matt's rule is "three threads a showin' and it's a goin'". What that
means is, if you have more than three threads showing about the adjusting
nut, you may have over tightened them, which is easy to do, until you get
the "feel" for where zero lash is. The "break point" at zero lash is very
subtle, but once you confidently find it, you'll know everytime.

Below is Ken Hand's procedure, which has been repeated here many times and
really helped me. He does each cylinder individually, but you can do it the
way the manual says (for TDC) and get the same result. Good luck.

Marc Sheridan

> [...]
> perfect or exactly on the money for best overall performance. You can
adjust
> SBC lifters on the corvair from as little as 1/16th of a turn or all the
way
> to 1 1/2 turns and the lifter will still perform the same way it was
designed.
>     You ask "why adjust cold"? Most of it has been said before but I will
> reiterate some and add some new, maybe.
>     The list, ease of working conditions, cleanliness,
> open the engine up once, or on a rebuild never,
> you don't have to destroy a part to make a shield
> you won't burn yourself!  (GRIN)
> The cold adjustment can be more precise and the BIGGIE, it takes less
time.
>     I have found over the years that people are to impatient for the
running
> method and won't or don't wait for things to settle properly. Here is an
> example someone puts lifters in an engine, they preadjust, run the engine
for
> a few minutes, open up the rocker cover, make a mess with dripping hot
oil,
> start the engine, now you have hot spraying oil all over, back the
adjusting
> nut off until it clatters (or is that the one next to it?), then you
tighten
> slowly until the clatter stops (but the others are making noise, are you
hard
> of hearing?), once the clatter stops on that valve you adjust slowly, no
more
> than a 1/4 turn until the engine smoothes out again, the clatter is still
> there, you adjust another 1/4 turn, this continues until you get nervous
> about how far down you've taken the nut, ( or you don't know any
different),
> then pretty soon, finally QUIET!  BUT GUESS WHAT? You've bottomed out the
> lifter to make it quiet and now the lifter cannot function the way it was
> designed. Now you think you have the cat by the tail because the engine is
> running OK and pretty quiet as far as lifter noise goes. You then put
rocker
> covers on and clean up the mess that was made by all the oil splashing
> everywhere. Now you drive your car and all is well.
>     Next time you go to drive the car there is this funny little thing
> happening in the engine that wasn't there before and you check and check
and
> finally do a compression test and find you have low compression on one or
two
> cyls. And you ask why and find out that you need to adjust valves all over
> again!
>     The way I adjust valves, new or used is this way;
> If the car is driven to you LET ENGINE COOL!
> Jack up one side of the car kinda high and use jack stands,
> Then pull off the corresponding valve cover
> Watching the valve motion of the cyl you wish to adjust bring that cyl to
TDC