<VV> Cylinders and heads

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:42:31 -0400

Maybe I'm missing something. Why not start it up and see how it goes? Those
head gaskets are the only thing I can think of that is at risk, and you're
never going to be able to use them again, anyway. If it blows, you have
questions, perhaps for VV, and a report, too. Blown head gasket only hurts
something if you drive it around a long ways after it blows (can erode head
metal). And if one blows, you'll HEAR it (puffing).
     If it doesn't blow, you just have a (triumphant) report.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Ewell Mills
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 4:38 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Cylinders and heads

I have a 67 that has a 64 turbo engine (turbo had been removed to add 66-67
type A/C condenser).
P.O. also replaced the heads with 102 heads, and added the "Otto" 4 carb
kit.
I could never get it to run right with 4 carbs although it would run O.K. on
2. (2 secondaries linkage removed and carbs blocked off).  I used a set of
110
heads that have been reconditioned.  I am now told that I screwed up.  The
64
cylinders are thinner than 65 and up, and will not fit the head properly,
and
will probably blow a head gasket.)  I used original type steel head gaskets.
I checked compression after assembling it (with starter motor and carbs off)
and it seems O.K.  There is some variance between cylinders, but none real
low.  I have just put the drivetrain back in and have not fired it up yet.
Question is...how badly did I screw up.  Should I proceed on and hope I
don't
blow a head gasket, or back up 10 and punt. (start over)
Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.