<VV> Cylinders and heads

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:42:17 -0700

At 1637 04/18/2004 -0400, Ewell Mills wrote:
>I have a 67 that has a 64 turbo engine (turbo had been removed to add 66-67
>type A/C condenser).
>P.O. also replaced the heads with 102 heads, and added the "Otto" 4 carb kit.
>I could never get it to run right with 4 carbs although it would run O.K. on
>2. (2 secondaries linkage removed and carbs blocked off).  I used a set of
110
>heads that have been reconditioned.  I am now told that I screwed up.  The 64
>cylinders are thinner than 65 and up, and will not fit the head properly, and
>will probably blow a head gasket.)  I used original type steel head gaskets.
>I checked compression after assembling it (with starter motor and carbs off)
>and it seems O.K.  There is some variance between cylinders, but none real
>low.  I have just put the drivetrain back in and have not fired it up yet.
>Question is...how badly did I screw up.  Should I proceed on and hope I don't
>blow a head gasket, or back up 10 and punt. (start over)
>Thanks.
>
>Cecil Mills
>Cocoa, Fl.

Doesn't the current pack of vendors still sell head spigot shims to allow you
to do what you did (late heads on early engine)?

Far as blowing a head gasket is concerned...   if you don't mind pulling the
heads and shimming them to fit snug, you can pick up some shim stock and
re-do.  If you don't mind taking a shot at luck, run the engine as-is and see
how the gaskets hold up; you might get lucky and experience no head gasket
leaks at all.   Maybe... ya never know.

tony..