<VV> Cylinders and heads

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:13:44 -0700

At 0952 04/19/2004 -0400, VairMech@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/19/2004 9:45:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>tonyu@roava.net writes:
>Doesn't the current pack of vendors still sell head spigot shims to allow you
>to do what you did (late heads on early engine)?
>
>Far as blowing a head gasket is concerned...   if you don't mind pulling the
>heads and shimming them to fit snug, you can pick up some shim stock and
>re-do.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>    Why buy anything if you drink coffee. The coffee can is just the right
>thickness and if you cut the flat part between the rings you have the
correct
>height. You then need to use the early size head gasket but it does work!
>    Ken Hand

What if you already used all the coffee cans to extend the heater hose
spigots?   (I know, just buy more coffee)

I have on occasion used a Dinty Moore Beef Stew can to snip shims (although
not
on any of my cars)... about the right size too, for easy snipping.   Then
again, another jackleg guy I know (along with my help) in a pinch just bolted
on late heads onto an early engine and even re-used the same head gaskets and
it ran OK with no gasket leaks.  However, being the jackleg that I am, I'd not
have enough nerve to admit to the list that I did this sort of thing...   next
thing ya know I'll be admitting that I adjust valves hot/running...

tony..  !!   buzzing on coffee overdose!