<VV> Re: CARTER YH CARBS

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:09:39 -0400

Ah, Ford 312 CI (Eaton Interceptor?) on my dad's ol' 1963 Trojan had
two, one fwd, one rearward.  Packed in real nicely, for sure.  The
rearward one always leaked at extended idle.  Trolling speed was OK.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of JVHRoberts@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 7:57 AM
To: Larry@Forman.net; N2VZD@aol.com; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Re: CARTER YH CARBS

I have seen these things on MANY old Ford, Chysler, Chevy, and Buick
engines in marine applications. I have no idea what size they are, etc.,
but apparently in the 50s and 60s, perhaps even later, these were fairly
popular.

In a message dated 4/17/2004 8:39:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Larry@Forman.net writes:
>when looking for YH carbs do not overlook marinas...older small block
>chevys in several boats had multi YH carbs lying close in a special
>manifold with flame arresters. also saw 4 on a 327 american motors
>engine in a cruiser once..
>a lot these were on 60's vintage cris craft mid size(28' up )
>cruisers.i cant remember the name of the amc boat but it was a 64
>aluminum lapstrake cruiser(same year as the car i was driving) at the
>marina across the river from me for repairs. so if you see one rotting
>away in a marina jump up and look it over.
>  regards, tim colson

Hi Tim,
Yes, this is a good source of YH's but they will generally be for the NA
carbs.  I was talking with another engineer at a professional society
meeting discussing boats.  He mentioned that he had a 1959 boat with a
351
V-8 but it has two WEIRD side draft carbs called Carter YH, and he has
been searching everywhere for some information on them.  I asked him to
confirm the carbs and then said, I'll be right back.  I walked into the
parking lot and came back with about 2 inches thick of documentation on
the Carter YH carbs.  Since I had left my Tech Guide at home, I said,
that if he had mentioned he wanted some information on Carter YH carbs,
he should have asked me and I would have been better prepared!  He just
about fell out of his seat.  He could not believe that I JUST HAPPENED
to have a large stack of documentation on the YH with me.

He later showed me a picture of the manifold and carbs on the V8.  It is
really trick how they nestle down in the front and back of the manifold
with the air cleaners out the front and rear.  It makes for an
exceedingly low profile V-8, which if perfect for under a boat's engine
cover.

Larry