<VV> 1964 was not a good year for carbs..

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:18:52 EDT

This is for those of you who can't seem to get your 1964 carbs to work
properly (flaky idle, etc.). I have been tossing all my "difficult" carbs in a
storage bin lately, rather than spending a lot of time trying to resurrect them.
Well, it occurred to me that all but a couple of them are the 1964 vintage. I
have had more than a fair share of problems getting a good seal and adjustment
of the throttle plates between cold and hot idle settings. No matter what I
would do in terms of swapping shafts, plates, or shaft ends, nothing would fix
them. So I measured the distance from the transition slot to the base today and
compared them to other carbs -- you guessed it... they were all about
1/64-1/32" closer to the base. Just about the width of the throttle plate and just
enough to keep them from shutting all the way.... so watch your carbs. I also
noticed that all of them have more than a usual amount of flashing around the top
of the bowl mating surface. Guess it was just a bad year all around trying to
change bodies, engines, carbs, etc... :-).
The Carbmeister