<VV> valve adjustments

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:34:09 -0700

At 1909 04/19/2004 -0400, Bill Hubbell wrote:
> [...]

Do you  not have to turn the engine several times to get the heel of the cam
lobes on the lifters t9o adjust the valve lash?   How much up and down running
back and forth does this take?

>To adjust the valves hot, you have to take the valve covers off, install a

You do this no matter what method is used.

>reworked 1/3 cover or equivalent, start and warm up the engine, adjust the

If the valves were noisy you'd have heard them and noted that when you got
home
you  were gonna adjust the valve lash...  the engine would be warm already.
And that valve cover with the holes in it isn't a 1/3 cover, it's whole with
holes... ;)    And, it's secured with wingnuts on long shouldered studs, whip
'em on in about 20 seconds.

>valves while getting hot oil all over yourself,

Not with  the holy valve covers...   they work quite well.

>stop the engine, take the
>reworked valve covers off,

Spin the wing nuts of in about as much time as it took to put em on, around 20
seconds.   regular valve covers go back on with clamps etc just like the cold
method.

>clean up the oily mess,

The oil I spill is about what gets spilled taking the normal valve covers
off.   A bit of kitty litter and all is well.

>and reinstall the valve
>covers.
>
>Gee.  I think I'll keep adjusting them cold.

Whatever works best for whoever does it.   :)    BY  the way, it takes less
than 10 minutes to adjust them hot/running`and that includes the wingnut valve
covers.

tony..