<VV> valve adjustments

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:18:57 -0400

Comments in text
Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony" <tonyu@roava.net>
To: <VirtualVairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 10:34 AM

> Do you  not have to turn the engine several times to get the heel of the
cam
> lobes on the lifters t9o adjust the valve lash?   How much up and down
running
> back and forth does this take?

Crank needs to be turned only once to adjust the valves cold.

> >To adjust the valves hot, you have to take the valve covers off, install
>
> You do this no matter what method is used.

No, you don't.  Because when you are adjusting them cold, you adjust them
once, right after you install the rockers, then you install the valve cover
and leave it on.  Once adjusted cold, they never need to be adjusted again.
You only take the valve cover off if you have to do some work on the head.

<SMIT>

> If the valves were noisy you'd have heard them and noted that when you got
> home
> you  were gonna adjust the valve lash...  the engine would be warm
already.

But if you had adjusted them cold in the first place, they never would be
noisy when you ran the engine.

> And that valve cover with the holes in it isn't a 1/3 cover, it's whole
with
> holes... ;)    And, it's secured with wingnuts on long shouldered studs,
whip
> 'em on in about 20 seconds.

Great, one more part to get lost in the garage.  Not to mention having to
clean it after use.

<SMIT>
> >clean up the oily mess,
>
> The oil I spill is about what gets spilled taking the normal valve covers
> off.   A bit of kitty litter and all is well.

I don't spill any oil adjusting them cold, because I do it when I put the
head on, before there is any oil in the engine.
<SMIT>

> >Gee.  I think I'll keep adjusting them cold.
>
> Whatever works best for whoever does it.   :)    BY  the way, it takes
less
> than 10 minutes to adjust them hot/running`and that includes the wingnut
valve
> covers.

No matter how you figure it, the hot adjust takes longer.  At some point the
valves had to be adjusted cold, just to get the engine started.  Now, if the
cold adjust was done correctly in the first place, the hot adjust would
never be necessary.  Therefore, by definition, all hot adjusts are just a
waste of time.

Bill Hubbell