<VV> valve adjustment

kaczmarek@charter.net kaczmarek@charter.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:50:36 +0000

Good morning All

I have been reading the ongoing thread on valve adjustment.

Bill makes some valid arguments regarding the cold method.

But I would like to deepen the controversy further.

Obviously from the thread on spare engines, Chevy made a BUNCH of Corvair engines. Most of you know I lived about 1000 feet from the back of the Engine Complex growing up. Some of the guys who worked the Corvair line still live in my neighborhood, AND EVEN THEY disagree about how the valves were adjusted on the line.

remember that the engines were "hot tested" with Propane gas on the stand before they were shipped. They didn't have the exhaust logs on them at that time. I remember going through the annual public tour of the complex and seeing the testing. At that point there HAD to be oil in the motors or they would be running them dry---

Yet there are guys who say they were hot adjusted at the factory.  IFO can't see how, but I didn't work there then.

At the end of the day, there are proponents of both methods, for various reasons.  Work with what fits best with you and I would believe you will sleep well at night.

HANK