<VV> 65 Turbo Timing Problem

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:52:43 -0400

Hi Mike, any drive over 100 miles is a good drive in a Corvair ;>)

	A couple points (pardon the pun).
- 1  The pressure retard, even when inoperative, will not effect timing
at idle.  22-24 degrees BTDC is where you want to be. I do have the Dale
and love it.  Since that factory setting is normally made with no
advance applied, I set my timing with the vacuum plugged/removed.  Now,
anytime the engine is at part or low load, the advance can "do it's
thing" and give better fuel economy and throttle performance.  The test
comes when you add the vacuum line.  With the Dale unit you should
experience a jump of 8 degrees or so from no vacuum.  Prahaps your
changes are due to the electronic ignition.  The Pertronix installation
will require re-timing.  You might have to pull and advance the
distributor, or move the wires around one position.

- 2  Watch for the slipping harmonic balancer type problem.  There are
timing marks on the 2 halves, but I can't remember if the marks are on
the front or back.  Wouldn't make any sense if the marks were on the
back, eh?

Good luck.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.