<VV> Re: valve seat set screw retention/tap sizes

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:30:35 -0400

Folks, we're mixing up screw numbers (5, 8), with numerators (the upper
number in a fraction) and thread pitches (32, 40, 44) with denominators (the
lower number in a fraction). I feel self-conscious even discussing this
foolishness on a list containing members who live in countries that use the
metric system, which dispenses with all this nonsense by using decimals
(e.g., 4.32).
     Ignore SCREW NUMBER 5 (the one followed by a DASH and then either a 40
or a 44). Its diameter is LESS than 1/8 inch (er,  0.125 inch - you can use
decimals with inches, too, but . . .). By the time you use that 9/64
(0.1406) bit, you're ALREADY over that diameter (compare the decimal
renditions). The screw DIAMETER is 5/32 (0.156) inch. This is the diameter
of screw SIZE 8. The common Size 8 thread has a pitch of 32 per inch,
leading to the designation 8-32.
     The tip-off is in the punctuation. 5/32 is a fraction (note diagonal
between the numbers). 8-32 is a thread designation for something nominally
5/32 (0.156) inch in diameter with 32 threads per inch of the length of the
fastener. Note dash between numbers.
     AND, there are 5,280 feet in a mile. This stuff goes on forever. Give
me a meter anytime.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C