<VV> 4 speed trans rebuild

AKG hdflstf@earthlink.net
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:52:26 -0400

Not too hard.  I just did my first trans ever (66 4 sp) last year.  Works
great now.  Just take your time, follow the shop manual and make sure to
keep everything very clean when it goes together.  The vendors will have the
parts you need.  Re-assembly was easier than I thought it would be.  Needle
bearings are not problem with some heavy grease to hold them in place.  You
will need a dummy shaft to assemble the needle bearings into the counter
gear.  I modified my old shaft for that purpose and use a new shaft in the
trans.

The Artful Dodger

Is the 4-spd, (1966 ver.), a difficult transmission to rebuild?
 I would like to attempt it but I dont want to end up with a "box job"
going to a shop.  I have a press for the bearings, but am worried about
the needle bearings.  Is it difficult to reassemble.